Law Offices of Stuart J. Reich, PLLC

Practice Limited to Immigration & Nationality Law

11 Broadway, Suite 615
New York, NY 10004

(212) 430-6582 phone
(212) 430-6583 facsimile

Must a wife take husband’s last name for approval of a marriage-based green card?

Q: We plan on applying for a green card for the non-US citizen spouse after we get married. Does the wife need to take the husband’s name for a marriage-based green card to be approved?

A: No. While taking a spouse’s name (or hyphenating both names, otherwise combining them, etc.) is likely viewed somewhat positively by some reviewing USCIS officers, it isn’t a legal requirement or even a major consideration.

USCIS will focus more on the degree to which you are sharing your lives together – combining finances and sharing legal obligations, spending time together and with each other’s’ family and friends as evidenced by photographs, and other indicators of a shared life.

Contact us here to arrange a consultation, to inquire about retaining us to handle your immigration matter, or simply to suggest topics you would like to see covered on our site.

The above is presented for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship with our firm. The information provided should not be used as guidance in pursuing an immigration matter absent consultation with a qualified immigration attorney.