Law Offices of Stuart J. Reich, PLLC

Practice Limited to Immigration & Nationality Law

11 Broadway, Suite 615
New York, NY 10004

(212) 430-6582 phone
(212) 430-6583 facsimile

How Do We Get Started?

Q: We’ve talked it through and want to get started on a case with your office - how do we get started?

A: When you tell us you wish to move forward, we prepare and send a “Case Initiation Package” and send this to you – most often both by e-mail and in hard copy. This contains our cover letter with listings of what we need in terms of information and documentation, multiple copies of an Attorney/Client Agreement spelling out the scope of our representation (what is “included”/what matter this covers) as well as legal fees and when they are due, and Questionnaires to be completed by all parties (to gather the information we need to properly complete the forms).

When we receive the requested material back (including the retainer portion of the fee), we get started!

Q: We don't yet have everything right now - can you just get started without all of the materials requested?

A: It depends on the item that's missing. We'll always need completed versions of the Questionnaires we've sent to prepare the basic paperwork. We'll also need immigration documents: I-94s, visa stamps and passport information pages. We may need other documents to proceed depending on the type of case; it's best to ask us on specific materials.

As discussed in our Attorney/Client Agreement, representation doesn't begin (we don't become your attorney) until the retainer portion of the legal fee specified in the Attorney/Client Agreement is received.

Contact us here to arrange a consultation, to inquire about retaining us to handle your immigration matter, or simply to suggest topics you would like to see covered on our site.

The above is presented for informational purposes only, and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship with our firm. The information provided should not be used as guidance in pursuing an immigration matter absent consultation with a qualified immigration attorney.